Thursday, December 20, 2012

The BEST Sugar Cookies

In the years past, we have always been home, at my Mom's house for Christmas, to make Christmas cookies.  Well this year we are staying put up North for Christmas so it's my turn to make Christmas cookies and let my oldest help.  We started about 2 weeks ago with the first batch and they were horrible.  I let her decorate 4 of them, just for decoration on our cookie plate.  They were and still are hard as a brick, but she likes to see them on the cookie plate. 

The second attempt was the very next night, with a different recipe.  I followed it to a T, just as I had done with the previous one.  And they turn out better, but still not good.  My husband and daughter ate them, and we decorated them, which made them a little better.   Anything is good if you put enough icing on it!  But I still was not satisfied!

Three times a charm...right?!  I think so!  This recipe is wonderful!  The cookies came out wonderfully, taste amazing and they are not even iced yet!  This recipe came from Janelle at http://comfyinthekitchen.com/
I hope you will enjoy them as much as we will!


Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened  (2 sticks)
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp milk
Powdered sugar for rolling out the dough

1- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in bowl. Set aside.
2- Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric mixer and beat until light in color. ( I used my big Kitchenaid mixer)
3- Add egg and milk and beat to combine.
4- Put mixer on low speed, gradually add in flour and beat until mixture pulls away from bowl.  It will be very soft at first.
5- Divide dough in half and wrap in wax paper or Glade clear pastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
6- Preheat oven to 375.
7- Sprinkle area with powdered sugar to roll out the dough.  Sprinkle some on your rolling pin as well.
8- Get 1 package of dough out at a time.  Roll out to 1/4 inch thick. (dough may need to sit out a few mins to warm up)
9- Place parchment paper on cookie sheet and back 7-9 minutes.  Let stand on cookie sheet for 2 mins before moving to cooling rack.  ( 7-9 mins will make soft, chewy cookies)
10- Eat as is or decorate with icing!

No comments:

Post a Comment